During the Spring, several religions practice various traditions to celebrate the Lent season. With all of the focus on Lent, you would assume that every believer has a great understanding of the season. However, that is not the case. Many people do not know why Lent is so important.
The season of Lent spans 40 weekdays (excluding Sundays) beginning on Ash Wednesday and climaxing during Holy Week. It is marked by a time or prayer and preparation to celebrate, commemorate, and focus on the job of the Easter Season.
Here are some important things to remember about Lent:
1. It is a 40-Day consecration period before Easter. The number 40 is significantly connected with many Biblical events, but the Season of Lent causes us to remember and reflect upon the 40 days that Jesus spent in the wilderness fasting, praying, and consecrating Himself for the tremendous task of saving the world.
2. People use this time to follow Jesus' example and give up different things, such as food and extracurricular activities, to pursue a closer relationship with God. This act of fasting causes you to evaluate yourself and remove things that are unGodly. It is a process that helps with the process as it is used to develop discipline.
3. Lent causes the believer to emphasize the marvelous event that took place at Easter (life, burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ) and the resurrected life that believers now have.
4. Lent is important because it is a time to refocus on God to develop a closer relationship with Him. It is a time of consecration to set aside the "busy-ness" of our lives and FOCUS on our personal walk with God.
5. People should use this period as a time of self-examination, and a time of deep prayer and fasting thereby fulfilling the whole purpose of Lent, which is to draw and bring oneself nearer to God.
Use the following scriptures to help you understand the importance of the season of Lent:
I Chronicles 16:10-11 Continually seek God
Jeremiah 29:11-13 Seek God with your all
Matthew 22:37 Love God with everything within you
I King 19:7-8 God will give you the strength you need
Luke 4 When Satan tempted Jesus, He replied with the Word of God
Luke 4:2 Man shouldn’t solely depend on food for survival
Hebrews 12:11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening, but the rewards make it worthwhile
We believers should seek to draw closer to God every chance we get. Lent is a special opportunity to corporately draw closer to God as we strive to overcome demonic strongholds, difficult struggles, and dire straits. During the season of Lent, and every day, never forget the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made.